Save Money On Your Rx
- Picking the fastest progressing patients to speed Parkinson's disease clinical trialson November 10, 2022 at 4:43 pm
A team has developed a new tool that can predict how Parkinson's disease patients will fare over the course of a year based on their genetics, brain scans and physical examinations.
- OHSU scientists identify molecule that could help treat Parkinson'son November 9, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Researchers have discovered that the neurotransmitter adenosine effectively acts as a brake to dopamine, another well-known neurotransmitter involved in motor control. The discovery could immediately suggest new avenues of drug development to treat symptoms of Parkinson's disease, a movement disorder where the loss of dopamine-producing cells has been widely implicated as a cause.
- Researchers identify a molecular mechanism associated with juvenile Parkinson'son November 8, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Parkinson's disease affects 3% of population over 65 years old, and the average age of onset is 60. Regarding juvenile Parkinson, which represents the rest of all Parkison's cases, the disease begins before 40 years old. Now, a group of researchers has deciphered the molecular mechanism by which a mutation of the adenosine type 1 receptor gene is associated with juvenile Parkinson's.
- Gene therapy targeting overactive brain cells could treat neurological disorderson November 3, 2022 at 6:07 pm
A new treatment for neurological and psychiatric diseases, that works by reducing the excitability of overactive brain cells, has been developed.
- 'A silent killer' -- COVID-19 shown to trigger inflammation in the brainon November 1, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Researchers have found that COVID-19 activates the same inflammatory response in the brain as Parkinson's disease. The discovery identified a potential future risk for neurodegenerative conditions in people who've had COVID-19, but also a possible treatment.